Monday, October 02, 2006

A brief update

I went to see a Berkeley career councilor about my job search. She told me I need some volunteer work to put on my CV if i want to work in international human rights. With the generosity of my friends family (whose house I am currently staying at), I am planning to get a volunteer job at an human rights NGO along with a part time paid job.

Within the next 6 months I'll probably be working outside the states, or in NY or DC at the very least, but right now i need to put in the time and energy to research. The councilor gave me a list of fellowship opportunities, international career info, and a bunch of web links for human rights.

From what I've seen it seems you break into the field by either getting a job in a posh NGO doing office work or the more exciting (and crazy) option of working for an NGO in a third world country getting paid almost nothing and doing field work (there is work available in Bangladesh right now but I would rather hold out and see if i could get something in the Balkans, then i could visit chiara right across the water).

To sum up: for around the next 4 months, if nothing amazing comes up, I'll be staying in San Francisco. (and will hopeful get a cell phone soon!)

Now its your turn to update and tell me how school (or in daves case work) is going ;-)

3 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger Chiara said...

Balkans! Balkans! Balkans!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger David said...

dai! dai! dai!

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Sasha said...

si! si! si!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home