Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A little vote

I know I joked around at Fulford about what second language I should learn... but now that I'm serious about doing international human rights work (in one form or another) I really need to learn another language! The organizations I am looking into, mostly international NGO's, favor french or spanish. You all know my love for the french language (as in the fact I find I can't pronounce anything). But I still think its very useful for work in Africa and Europe. So please select one and post a comment. Should I learn:

French

or

Spanish

7 Comments:

At 3:25 AM, Blogger Chiara said...

Spanish it's more simple and it's easier to pronounce it but maybe if you will go to africa it's better for you to learn French..
So my vote is for french, the important thing is to understand and communicate in some ways so it's not so important if you don't have a perfect pronounciation..
Good luck dear!!!
a biiiig kiss!

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Erik van L said...

Spanish, quite simple and mucht more important internationally. Especially in Human Rights (Latin America).

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger David said...

Spanish... much more prominent in the big picture.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

If you're sure you want to work in Europe or Africa, I say go with French. If you might want to work in/for human rights in the Americas, Spanish is the way to go. Spanish is defintely much easier to learn, but it's probably not as useful for what you want to do. So, I'm leaning towards French.(I'm confident that with practice you can learn French- my mom spoke it very well.)

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Sasha said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Sasha said...

A tie? Egads. I need to get ines and gildas on here... though I think I know what they'll vote for. I would rather do work in africa then the americas, but overall dave is right that spanish is usefull as it is a growing language. I think ines would laugh herself silly if I started to talk to her in a thick mexican accent.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Sasha said...

I think mastering spanish at this point would be easier then frech. There are so many more places available to use it in San Francisco. If I'm serious about it i can hang out in the mission and have near emersion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home