Sunday, July 09, 2006

Amsterdam

Hello everyone! I'm in Amsterdam with Dave beside me on a computer to the left and Lisa on one to the right. The city has been amazing. The more I am here the more I want to stay. I think this country has had a lasting impression on both Dave and me. I won't be suprised if we both end up moving here. If we could learn this crazy crazy language! (the music in the background on the internet cafe is the 'your beautiful' song Emiline used to do!). We all visited Leiden on Friday and Erik toured us around the city in his row boat. There was a windmill; but not a clog or puffy dress in sight. There was an crazy boat parade with drunken dutch people and boats dressed up; one as an island, another was a ghostbusters car. The dutch seem to be good at taking the piss out of each other as random people on their boats or the side of the canal would shout out jokes about our humble little craft. Amsterdam has been nuts. We went to the red light district (not as scary as I thought it would be but no where I'd want to hang out). The Anne Frank house held a lot of meaning for me and I cried through most of the tour. At the end of the tour near the exit was an exhibition asking yes or no questions about what the audience thought (they voted through buttons placed on the seating area) of free speach, the right to privacy, and different human rights questions in the context of current events. It was interesting to see how the audience and how all the vistors the museum has had have voted. The canals lead me to day dream, the water shines with the sun, the boats make the whole city seem so relaxed. Thats all for now :)

3 Comments:

At 3:20 AM, Blogger Erik van L said...

Humble craft? My father's rowing boat is a fine example of a good and seaworthy vessel...

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Sasha said...

seaworthy? perhappes canal worthy but i wouldn't build it's hopes up...

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger David said...

dock-worthy, or...
mock-worthy hahahahaha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home